Friday 15 February 2008

Heart-less?

I really don't get Valentine's Day
To me, it just seems like an excuse for card companies, florists and other retailers flagging after the festive season to make a few quid in that void between Christmas and Easter.
Sucker that I am, I succumbed and got my other half a card. Thankfully she stands on the right side of high maintenance and shares my apathetic attitude towards the day of love.
I can go for a romantic meal any time of the year. Why would I want to go on a night when all the restaurants are packed and everything costs twice as much?
I can shower my loved one with gifts and flowers whenever I want to - why should I do it on a day when I'm going to have to pay through the nose for the pleasure?
Last night I, to my mind, spent a perfect Valentine's Day - drinking wine and watching football.
That said, we have a lovely Valentine-related story in next week's paper that warmed even my cynical old heartstrings.
Read next Wednesday's News to see if it does the same to you.