Friday 28 March 2008

Amazon adventure

With our fearless leader (Glenn) enjoying his extended Easter break, it has fallen to me to add the latest from the newsroom.
As you will see from our main news page, it has been a busy week for us since the long weekend. With so much "hard news" going on, I thought I would concentrate on something a bit more fun for this entry.
As you might remember from our Janury 30 edition, a Crawley man is one of two guys planning to become the first to walk the Amazon river. Like most men, I would like to think I could live in the jungle like Ray Mears but the reality is that I would starve in about 20 minutes.
Luke Collyer, who went to Thomas Bennett, and his friend Ed Stafford are up against all sorts of horrors which would be scary enough at home but will be truly terrifying so far from modern medical help.
Luke kindly explained to me what flesh-eating disease leishmaniasis does to the body. I won't spoil your Friday night with the details but rest assured it's not very nice!
Bearing in mind the risks, I can't help but feel inspired by these guys. Most of us will never do anything half as difficult or dangerous but they seem optimistic ahead of the challenge, which will take over a year even if all goes to plan.
I look forward to reading their blog entries and you can rest assured the News will keep you up to date as they pass through land shared by snakes, alligators, drug dealers and a million other perils.