Wednesday 6 August 2008

Back in blightly

I've been back in the office for five hours now but still don't quite know where I am or what I'm doing.
It's that kind of post-holiday, out-of-body experience which seems to take at least a day to wear off.
Before I left, I was set the challenge of finding a Crawley-related story while sunning myself in Cyprus.
This was inspired by Chief Reporter Michael Connellan, who once stumbled across a Crawley Town FC fan while on a skiing holiday.
I struggled on this mission (not that I tried very hard, admittedly) until, the day before I left, I met an Irish woman who told me she had spent Saturday night in a "lovely market town" just outside London.
"Where?", I asked.
"I think it was called Crawley," she replied.
Bingo!
Not exactly newsworthy, but I'm sure our town's hierarchy will be happy with the "lovely market town" label.